Friday, October 5, 2007

Three More Nights

As Rob and I went to bed the other night, I said we only have 5 more nights of going to bed without Samuel. After that he will be with us. It will no longer be just the two of us going to bed.

And now, it is three more nights. Only Friday, Saturday and Sunday. On Monday night we will fall asleep in our hotel room in Guatemala with Samuel with us. And a week from tonight, we will fall asleep in our bedroom in Seattle with Samuel in his crib close by.

And as we count down with tears, I wonder if the foster mom is also counting down. Only three more nights of taking care of this precious baby. In only three nights, his giggle won't be heard in their house.

I am so grateful for the care she has provided. She has given him a foundation. She has been his mom for almost eight months.

Someday I will tell Samuel of his three moms. One who brought life, one who cared for that life while he was a baby and one who taught him who to live that life.

My life has unfolded in a manner that I am not the one to physically bring forth life, nor the one to be giving care in the first few months. And while I will always miss those experiences, I am overwhelmed with gratefulness that I am the one who has the amazing adventure ahead of being Samuel's mom from this day onward.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow you guys we are thinking of you both so much in these last few days. so many emotions no doubt, i can not imagine. you 2 are a wonder to watch and a sign of hope surviving. thank you! and we are looking forward to meeting you 3 soon.
ruthie

Anonymous said...

How much Bob and I are looking forward to see you 2 become parents in Guatemala. What a treasure that will be.
love ya and we can't wait
mom